Church History - Heritage

The Presbyterian Church has been impacting lives in Estherville since before the city was founded!

Thanks to the ambition and persistence of Christiana Richmond Weir and her brother, Rev. John Richmond, the Presbyterian Home Mission seminarian, G. N. Luccock, came to Emmet County in 1880 to plant a Presbyterian Church.

Organized in September of 1880, First Presbyterian Church in Emmet County began as a small group including one elder and four trustees, and they met at Swan Lake and the Barber school in the northwest part of the county.Church History - building

By December of 1881, First Presbyterian Church made its home in Estherville. The church met in the court house and the Baptist church until it constructed its own building in 1888. In 1902 this building was moved across town to be used by another congregation and the current building was built in its place.


The Holy Spirit has continued to inspire the faith family of First Presbyterian Church to serve the community and the world in the name of Jesus, the Christ. The beautiful sanctuary, replete with remarkable acoustics and exceptional stained glass, has been the home of meaningful and engaging worship for well over 100 years. Concerts of all sorts have provided the community opportunities for musical expressions of praise. Men’s, women’s, single’s, and young adult groups have reached out to help people in the community and beyond. Larry Harsin and Jack BixbyThe people of First Presbyterian Church have a long history of involvement in community affairs as respected community leaders working to make Estherville a better community in the name of Christ.

We have a long and exciting history at First Presbyterian Church. Even more exciting are the many ways God is doing great things through our family of faith!